Friday, June 20, 2014

My Dream Closet Come True!!

For my whole life, like many of us who LOVE fashion, particularly shoes, I have wanted a gorgeous closet.  I was definitely tired of sharing a tiny walk-in with my husband, trying to squash all my clothes on two hanging bars (one time one of the bars came flying down), and both were always sunken in the middle.  For Mother's Day, my husband (assistant to uncle) and uncle completed this beauty for me!  Let me take you through the process.  First, I will show you the full panoramic, and then show you all the hard work it took to get there.



This was a very long process  that began with removing the wood paneling off of the lower half of the walls, including the base boards.  Then hubby and uncle sanded down the wall, placed mud over it, and sanded it down again.  Ideally, new dry wall would be put up, but that is an even bigger project.





My hubby woke up before work to paint and came home after work to paint.  The teal color always seems peaceful.  He replaced the baseboards (from Home Depot) and painted them white.  We put up the chandelier from Ikea.



Then came the structures, which were purchased from the Container Store (Elfa closet solutions). The Container Store representatives were super helpful, as we changed the schematics several times. We also got a quote from Home Depot for $8000 ($1,000 of which was for installation) for free-standing closet solutions.  I'll leave it up to the reader to decipher why I chose the Elfa system. One caveat to the system is the instructions do not specify how far apart to put the two structures. Luckily, uncle is a pro. Usually these structures go on sale in December, but that is a bit far so hubby used coupons and gift cards to receive discounts. 








Then came the fun part!!  Organizing it!! Sneakers, pumps, sandals, boots! Shirts and sweaters!


Dresses!  Jackets! More pumps and boots!




Then I added my "Queen" chair that I purchased from Joss & Main.  I also included a rocking, small ottoman that was given to me by my good friends.  The side table was DIY by my hubby and me (two Ikea Lack tables spray painted and glued together) + nailhead design.  Placed personal touches, including Bazaar Magazines, which always has artistic, beautiful covers, and magazine storage (below). 

A great find was this large mirror from Home Goods!  My close friend and hubby installed this, which provides a great finishing touch.  The mirror was $100--what a steal!  I went to Ross, Home Goods, and Kohl's for finishing touches at great prices as well (e.g., jewelry organizers, pretty storage boxes). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10